Saturday, 30 October 2010

Introduction and Initial Idea

In this project, the task is to design an App for use with Apple's iDevices. We must take into account the capabilities of the devices involved, as well as gameplay factors such as accessibility and mechanics. To make our App interesting and fresh, we must look into things such as the Tilt system, Touch controls and graphics capabilities.

My idea stems from a personal request of my own. I've always wanted a good "run 'n' gun"-style game on a portable device, something similar to the likes of Metal Slug. Unfortunately nothing has ever fit the bill, so using this, I think I'll design a concept for one myself. Upon thinking, I've began to worry about how I might make this an original App, as opposed to a simplified Metal Slug knock-off. I figure the best way to achieve this would be to make the art style my game's unique selling point. I know I have to take the iPhone's capabilities into account, but I think I'll go for a very exaggerated cartoon style inspired by Ren & Stimpy and other cartoons of that era as I love drawing things in that style, whether they be funny, slightly grotesque or a mixture of the two.

My initial idea for a story/theme is something along the lines of... "A steroid-induced tough guy being dropped into a world full of cute and fluffy things. This, in turn, drives him insane (since he's only used to the dull colours of his local gym) and sends him rampaging through the land, bringing pain and destruction to anything that stands in his way. With hope of finding his way home, he eventually stumbles across a door which leads him to a world that is the exact opposite of where he just came from, a world filled with hellish demons who are out to kill anything they see with their hate-filled eyes. The psychotic individual sees no danger here, so he ventures forward, still searching for a way out."

I think this could be the sort of idea I can turn into a very appealing concept, as the story helps to create some variety in the characters and even be slightly humorous. With this setup, I believe I can keep the gameplay very simple without losing any of its appeal. Luckily the iPhone is designed for simple games so hopefully, this could fit right into the App Store with no problems. Now, to research what exactly I can pull off using the iPhone so I can, if needed, adjust my art style accordingly.

No comments:

Post a Comment